Life Sciences University Technical College – Consultation
A University Technical College is a new type of school for 14 to 19 year olds. Sponsored by local employers it will provide specialist scientific and healthcare education with traditional GCSEs, BTECs and A-Levels.
Life Sciences in the Liverpool City Region is a growing sector with specific skills requirements. The UTC will help young people to develop sector specific skills and qualifications that will help them to secure a career in this sector.
The Liverpool Life Sciences UTC will provide industry standard facilities for science and healthcare. It is intended that the UTC will be located within a 10 mile radius of Liverpool City Centre with close proximity to local employers.
How is a UTC different?
– The school day typically runs from 8:30am to 5pm
– There are 40 weeks in a school year
– This adds a whole extra year of instruction for every two years a student is in the UTC
– Extra-curricular activities are compulsory
– There is a broad general curriculum, and the core subjects of English, Maths and Science are taught through highly demanding technical projects
– Pre 16 students will spend 60% of their time on academic subjects and 40% on technical ones.
– Post 16 the percentage is reversed with 40% academic teaching, 60% technical
– The curriculum content is determined and shaped through the partnership of employers and universities
– Experience of work is a central element of the curriculum
The Life Sciences Sector
Liverpool’s local life sciences and healthcare sector is active and growing. There are broadly four specialist areas that include:
– Advanced Manufacturing: Locally, more than 5000 people are employed across 92 companies producing vaccine and medicine and developing healthcare diagnostics contributing £310 million to the local economy.
– Scientific Research: Both the local universities and a number of small entrepreneurial companies are engaged in exciting research to develop the next generation of vaccines and medicines.
– Healthcare: The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospital is one of the most well respected healthcare institutions in Europe and is set to build a new state of the art £451 million facilities. RLBUT is a major employer and has over 300 different types of jobs within the Trust.
– Leadership and Management: The specialist sector requires specialist lawyers, administrators, engineers and technically focused roles.
The Liverpool Life Sciences UTC has been developed to meet an acknowledged skills gap within the sector for a workforce equipped with technical skills, as well as a range of academic qualifications and will therefore transform life opportunities for young people in the Liverpool City Region.
Have Your Say
Views and opinions about the proposed Liverpool Life Sciences University Technical College are welcomed.
Please visit http://lifesciencesutc.co.uk/consultation and complete the online questionnaire by Friday 27th April 2012, to have your say during this critical development period.
For more information on the Liverpool Life Sciences UTC, including Admissions information, you can visit http://www.lifesciencesutc.co.uk/
For further information go to: //lifesciencesutc.co.uk/consultation